Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day One-Hundred and Thirty-Three ... Entitlement Versus Gratitude

I see a great many people struggling with life and some days I struggle with mine as well. I started working in Las Vegas September 6th as a personal trainer. My first job in the first place I lived outside of NY. I'm still there and rapidly approaching my one year "anniversary". I have seen 17 or 18 trainers (trainers only, there have been other coworkers leave as well) leave in that time.


Even outside of work I meet a great many people who are very unhappy with their job, their life, you name it. I hear it in conversations. I catch myself perpetuating it at times as well. Almost like a third person standing beside myself hearing words I'd rather not say, knowing as I say them that they do not improve my well being, state of mind or add to my happiness. On top of that they surely cannot add to the happiness of the person kind enough to listen to me. What does venting really solve anyway? Does having someone agree with you when you're upset at something or someone change anything?


Isn't it better to think of something good, and there is always something good, and let go of the negative energy? I said better mind you, not easier ... I know that isn't always the easy course.


There seems to be a rash of entitlement that is contagious. Entitlement is so very different from gratitude. When I hear people focusing on the negative, especially when I experience myself doing that, I want to give a nudge and point out that gratitude feels a whole lot better.


The reality is nothing is owed to anyone. We are given life but how we fill it is up to us. Waste it or experience it. Thrive or exist. Love or hate. Feel entitled or feel grateful. When I write in my gratitude journal at night I see that no matter how many opportunities or challenges the day is filled with, there is always a tremendous amount to be grateful for if you take the time to look around. This blog helps me take the time to look around. It is a great reminder.


After not having written for a few weeks I realized I was slipping. My attention wasn't scanning for good. I'd sit down at night and write what I was grateful for but the day wasn't filled with constant sifting of opportunities for blogging about.


I want to continue to grow as a person and continue to see the better side of all situations ...


When I'm angry at someone instead of airing it I want to turn my attention to someone who makes me feel good and thank them for it. That will feel better and it will also make someone else feel better.


When I have a challenging or stressful day at work I want to take the time to be grateful I have a job when so many wish they did. That switch can change the day, I know it can. I am so very lucky I get to help people every day and I get to meet the most spectacular and interesting people.


Instead of feeling sorry for myself for the things I may not be able to do right now I want to be thankful for all the amazing things I have done and the experiences yet to come.


 Expecting miracles,
-Nicola Byrne




There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle
-Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment