Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Windy Day Seven ...

The wind is gusting in Las Vegas today, up to 22 mph gusts. Shining above a vast blue sky the sun is strong, but not as strong as the wind. I can hear it howling and it is very soothing.

Growing up on Long Island I associate this sound with a blizzard or winter storm, yet every time I look outside I see the bright Vegas sun and clear blue skies. It is interesting to see how memory alters my perception of the wind, in spite of what my eyes can see.

Today the wind makes me smile and brings back some great memories from my SUNY Stony Brook University days. In the fall I would go and sit on the dock in the village of Port Jefferson and simply be. I went to think and feel the wind. To look at the stars and enjoy the water. Today's wind takes me back to those days and it is a very nice memory to dust off and enjoy.

Listening to the wind and smiling,
Nicola Byrne

The substance of the winds is too thin for human eyes, their written language is too difficult for human minds, and their spoken language mostly too faint for the ears.
--John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment