Monday, August 1, 2011

Day One-Hundred and Five ... A Proverb

Driving to work today someone was driving recklessly and I felt myself growing irritated. As I was working on letting it go so the irritation did not stick with me I remembered this proverb that came to me via a newsletter in my email last week. It seemed appropriate and helped me set aside any irritation and move on with my day.
CARRYING BURDENS

Two monks were traveling together when they came to a
wide stream passable only by a deep ford. On the near
bank a beautiful young woman wrung her hands in
despair because she could not cross.

"Climb on my back," the older monk said to her, "and I
will carry you across." When they reached the other
side of the river, the young woman thanked the monks
and they continued on their way.

The younger monk was bothered by what had occurred.
When the two monks stopped for the night, he could no
longer keep silent. "Why did you carry that woman
across the stream?" he asked in a serious
voice. "Aren't we monks supposed to avoid all contact
with women?" "I set her down a long time ago," said
the other monk. "Why are you still carrying her?"

~ Buddhist Proverb
If I had not let it go then that short moment in time could have carried through my day bringing much negativity along with it. Our interactions while driving can really trigger a lot of negativity and I really work at staying calm and peaceful as best I can. Sometimes though ... it is a challenge.

Thankfully there are great quotes and proverbs all around me to show perspective.

Have a good night,
Nicola Byrne

The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him.
-Henry L. Stimson



No comments:

Post a Comment