Friday, January 13, 2012

Enjoy While You Can

Today I congratulated my sister on closing on her first home. This should have been a joyous and momentous day for her. I know that I was so thrilled I could hardly contain myself! However, she was so worried about the future she had not yet paused to be happy or thankful or to just enjoy the moment. It was all just massive worry and she worked herself into having a huge headache as a result.

My words to her were to take it one day at a time and be happy now. To not be so far into the future that it was scary.

In return she said she was afraid to be happy for fear it would be taken away.

My mind churned that up a bit and spit out ... then enjoy it while you can.

Ultimately everything is temporary. Even our lives. The simple point of being mindful of now and grateful for now is for that very reason. Now truly is all we have, tomorrow is promised to no one.

Appreciate every little thing today. Every big thing today. Even a green light when driving. The small things surround us, there is simply so much to appreciate.

To miss anything because it may not be there tomorrow is to waste the present. Then you really have nothing.

I need a reminder from time to time as well.

-Nicola Byrne

No comments:

Post a Comment