Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Being Prepared

It is January and working at a gym means there is a certain insanity that this time of year brings. All those wonderfully good intentioned New Year resolutioners descend in force. The gym is packed. Equipment has a line three people deep waiting for it. Towels are all over the place. Parking? What parking? Every January I go through a phase of being unable to find my car because all my normal spots are taken.

I knew today was going to be a very full day, I had seven sessions back to back at one point. That meant making sure I was prepared. It was either that or run around like a chicken without a head and feel frazzled or hunker down and get ready. I prefer to feel ready and prepared. I put in a couple of hours the day before to plan my day from start to finish. Food. Water. Exercise. Every single program written out ahead. A trip home to let the dogs out. Food and water for the four legged creatures too. A folder for my new client with highlighted fields for information I need and a checklist so I did not miss a thing.

That made all the difference in the world. I had a day that was long and busy. I also had a day that was fun, engaging, challenging, and rewarding. It pays to plan ahead. A little time before leads to a far better time during.

I even found my car on the first try ...

Really thankful for post-it's and highlighters today!
-Nicola Byrne

I love it when a plan comes together.
-Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith (The A-Team)

No comments:

Post a Comment