Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year?


I understand the concept of the new year and although it takes me a few days or weeks sometimes to actually get the date right, I really don't feel like anything changes beyond that. There is no burning need to make resolutions and make huge changes.

That wasn't always the case, in the past I made resolutions and like the majority of humanity, did not keep them.

Instead now I make adjustments on a daily basis. Life is like driving a bus, I make adjustments in how I steer it and stay on course. Not so much focused on a particular destination, instead I focus on enjoying my life and being grateful for everything. A green light driving to work. A parking spot that I favor. The special people I encounter every day. Conversations with friends. Reading a good book. How happy my dog and cat are to see me, any time of day or night.

Those are easy to be thankful for. It takes a little more determination to be thankful for the things that don't go "right" or "according to plan". To see past the initial knee jerk assumption of failure; to look for and appreciate the lesson hidden there as well. There have been a few of those this year, and I have learned a lot about myself, my decisions, my strengths and my weaknesses.

If I find myself going off course and worrying about something or spinning my wheels thinking about things I have no control over, I steer myself back to what I have to be grateful for or repeat one of my two reliable mantras. Affirmations.

"I am whole, perfect, strong, powerful, loving, harmonious and happy."

"Every day, in every way, I am getting better, better and even better."

I've seen it said that a belief is simply a thought you think over and over. Therefore, I can recreate my beliefs as I see fit. Why should I believe I'm a klutz when I can just as easily believe that I am coordinated? Personally I prefer having the belief I am whole, perfect, strong, powerful, loving, harmonious and happy. It covers everything I want to be, feel, and experience.

-Nicola Byrne



You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

-Dr. Robert Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment