Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day Ninety-Seven ... Should-itis

Some days I am not as productive as I would like to be. Yesterday was one of those days. It feels like there is just so much I want to accomplish on my day off and sometimes the desire to relax outweighs the need to get stuff done.

Then I start to disapprove of myself and heap "shoulds" on my head. I should be doing this, I should be doing that... The result of that being my rest is not as restful, because I end up creating guilt and stress instead of enjoying it.

Is getting rest procrastinating? Is taking a day off a big old form of putting off what can be done today for tomorrow? Usually I know better, but for some reason this weekend I feel like I should (there's that word again) have had more to show for my day than a trip to the farm and a great squash blossom frittata. Well there was the roasted garlic and squash too...

Cleaning and laundry did not make the cut ... but a nap did.

Today I need to remind myself to be grateful for the day of relaxation and fun. Every day does not need to have a list of accomplishments to have worth or meaning. Human beings, not human doings. I can get so caught up in lists and checking items off the lists that I miss the forest for the trees. Not always, but sometimes. This weekend was one of those times.

Letting go of the "shoulds",
Nicola Byrne

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.
-Spanish Proverb



No comments:

Post a Comment