Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day Fifty-Five ... Signs

Signs  is one of my favorite movies. It is also the source of one of my favorite inspirational quotes. I have seen it many times. Yes, it is about aliens, but I find it to be very spiritual and also uplifting. Signs embraces the belief that everything, every little thing, happens for a reason. I believe it is true.


If our lives were a movie we would always be able to know the reasons for what happens, nice and neatly, and in perfect order at just the right time.


It doesn't seem to work like that in "real time". Perhaps we are not meant to know the why behind the what. Or perhaps we do know it, subconsciously and our cluttered minds are never quiet enough to allow comprehension. I do not pretend to know the answer to that.


Today is a light work day but a heavy cleaning day. I have been productively cleaning and organizing since early morning. As I clean my mind churns out thoughts. Some have not been models of "Choosing Better Thoughts" and as I catch them I consciously overwrite them with "I don't think that way anymore, I choose to think better thoughts". I can only do that when I'm aware of my thoughts though.


Buried in the mental chatter I picked up my favorite quote flying by ... "Swing away Merrill, swing away." From the first time I heard it in the movie it stuck, if you could etch words on the brain, it would be found there in my mind. Those five words spoke volumes to me. It said don't be afraid, go for it, take a chance, always do your best, just try, take that first step, keep going, don't give up ... You get the picture. It embodies living fully and presently in the moment for me. I simply love it.


In addition to that quote the movie was filled with little quirks that wind up at the end all having very important purposes. Empty glasses of water. Asthma. Swinging away. It all happened for a reason. As I try to understand where I am at in my life, and why I am here, and all that is happening, I remind myself that it all happens for a reason. That must be why I thought of the movie.




Swinging away,
Nicola Byrne


I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour.  I dripped it carelessly, Ah!  I didn't know, I held opportunity.
-Hazel Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment