Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day Fifty ... Question Answered

Since I moved to Las Vegas ten months ago I've been seeing this particular shrub all around that I love. Some are twenty feet tall, some only four feet tall. I have wanted to know what they are so someday I can plant them in the backyard. This shrub has the greatest colors. Pink. Red. White. Magenta.



Anyway, a few weeks ago I was fully expecting to find out what on earth this shrub was when I went to the Springs Preserve. I assumed it would be in their desert gardens. It wasn't. The ice cream festival went a long way to compensate for that disappointment though. At some point in time, walking the dogs, I thought I would see a homeowner out tending their yard and simply ask.



Then on Tuesday I picked up my girlfriend to go for a walk in Pueblo Park. I didn't even think to ask her what the shrub was, but I should have because she always knows what plant is what. It turns out I didn't have to ask, it came out that my mysterious shrub is oleander. I don't remember seeing oleander before, though I may have. It is funny that it seems to be in the scenery all the time when I read a book and I never thought twice about it. Never was curious to go and look it up.



But now I know. Gorgeous oleander is all over the place in Las Vegas and I love it. It is one of my favorite plants to see when I am walking around, the colors are extremely vibrant and it seems to simply thrive everywhere.


I am looking forward to getting some oleander in the backyard now that I know what it is! All different colors.  I hope hummingbirds like it, because I see them all over the place too.

Thank you Michelle,
Nicola Byrne


A day is Eternity's seed, and we are its Gardeners.
-Erika Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment