Monday, June 13, 2011

Day Fifty-Four ... Strengths and Weaknesses

My first client today came in after having a tough weekend with numerous trials and tribulations both professional and personal. He was very introspective as a result and had a unique insight into happiness and what it takes to feel it. I'm going to try to paraphrase it because I was not able to write it down as he spoke because I was training him and making sure his exercises were in good form.

There are three key components to being happy:

1) Being productive with meaningful work

2) Having a goal

3) Being in love

At this point in my life I can put a check mark next to all of the components.

My work is very meaningful to me. I love helping others. When I make someone smile, it makes me smile. That is a goal of each training session I have, get my client to smile or laugh or both. It isn't always just about giving them a workout or going over food. I want them to leave feeling better than when they came in. No matter how they felt when they came in. Oh they may be tired, but they are hopefully happy and feel they have accomplished something important.

I have several goals. This blog alone is a goal I set fifty-four days ago.

Being in love is obvious. Nothing feels as good as being in love. Unfortunately at some point expectations get in the way of appreciation and gratitude. I begin to take the other person for granted and stop putting as much effort into making my significant other happy. When you're in love you don't keep score and you genuinely want to do things to make someone else happy just for the sake of making them happy. Not to get a single thing in return. It is important that I take the time to appreciate my spouse and see all the good in him, and all the hard work he does, and if there are things I don't like to let them go. Where I put my focus is the key to staying in love and being happy.

Staying on course with my goals,
Nicola Byrne



Happiness is a by-product of an effort to make someone else happy.
-Gretta Brooker Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment