Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day Nineteen ... Mother's Day From Afar

This is my first Mother's Day away from my Mom in a very long time. Traditionally I make her dinner (whatever she wants) and her favorite chocolate cream pie with an Oreo crust. I love doing that and it feels so strange to be up and not working on that pie, which takes a good three hours to make.

It is also my sister's very first Mother's Day and I only saw my beautiful niece Emma one time for a half-hour before moving here. I will get to see pictures though.

That makes today bittersweet and I could be sad thinking about not being there, but instead I choose to think about what I love about my Mom and my sister.

My Mom and sister are feisty and confident. More than I will ever be. They tell you what they are thinking and have the courage to say what they want without worrying about what anyone else thinks. I have always looked up to that.
They are both tremendously giving and generous, in every way possible.
My sister is an amazing Mom already and she hasn't even been one for a year. She is endlessly patient with Emma, who can be a challenge at times.
Both are great listeners, as I think all Mom's seem to naturally be.
My Mom and my sister take care of everyone first, themselves last.
I love hearing them laugh, they both have great laughs.
My Mom loves Christmas and goes so above and beyond in making it fun and special. She plans and shops and wraps for months. I don't know how she does it all.
I'll never forget my Mom taking my sister and I to see the Black Stallion when I was little. My Mom has always been a bit afraid to drive far and long, but she made sure I got to see that movie, which was made based on my favorite book at the time by Walter Farley. She didn't let her fear of driving stop her from getting me to see that movie. That was in 1979.
I remember the times Mom made us pancakes for dinner, because that was a favorite. She made the best rolled crepe style pancakes in the world.
Grilled cheese sandwiches will always remind me of my Mom and swimming lessons. After swimming lessons, freezing cold with blue lips, we would come home and Mom would often make a hot grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Nothing could have tasted better.

I could go on and on, of course ... Instead of feeling sad I am smiling and enjoying great memories, some of which I haven't thought of in a while. This blog really enables me to pull myself out of any potentially sad situation and really see the good. The silver lining in a gray cloud.



I did not always appreciate my Mom as much as I do now, did not always understand that all she said and did was to help me be a better person. To be safe at all times. When I was younger we had a rocky relationship. However with time and age comes perspective and appreciation.

I appreciate and love my sister and my Mom very much.

Wishing all Mom's a Happy Mother's Day today and always,
Nicola Byrne

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. 
--Washington Irving

No comments:

Post a Comment