Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day Thirty-Three ... Serendipity



ser·en·dip·i·ty  (srn-dp-t)n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.
[From the characters in the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip, who made such discoveries, from Persian SarandpSri Lanka, from Arabic sarandb.]
seren·dipi·tous adj.seren·dipi·tous·ly adv.Word History: We are indebted to the English author Horace Walpole for the word serendipity, which he coined in one of the 3,000 or more letters on which his literary reputation primarily rests. In a letter of January 28, 1754, Walpole says that "this discovery, indeed, is almost of that kind which I call Serendipity, a very expressive word." Walpole formed the word on an old name for Sri Lanka, Serendip. He explained that this name was part of the title of "a silly fairy tale, called The Three Princes of Serendip: as their highnesses traveled, they were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of...."


I don't automatically know what I'm going to write about every day ... Today was one of those days that required some thinking. When I'm not sure what I'm going to write about or what I'm looking for I start looking for some inspiration and that can be done a few different ways. I'll look through quotes or pictures until something grabs me. Walk the dogs. Take pictures. Today as I was considering what I wanted to write about I was leaning on going with gratitude, specifically a gratitude list. While looking for a new picture to insert I came across one image that was an interesting way of putting it.



I wanted to find a better image or picture. I did not, but interestingly enough I ended up finding a book that I'd like to read by someone named Nicola called The Boomerang Effect. The reviews on Amazon are all great and well I think it is easy to see why I feel that serendipity sums it up. It is so interesting to me to look at the path that drops certain books or people or quotes or whatever into my lap so neatly. Whatever it is, I'm grateful for it.


Looking forward to a new book,
Nicola Byrne


Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you’ve found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.
-Lawrence Block

No comments:

Post a Comment