Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day Forty-One ... Just for Today

Looking for a way to turn my focus I found this and the blog is a great place to share it:


 Just for Today
 Just for today, I will try to live through this day only,
 and not tackle my whole life problem
 at once. I can do something for twelve hours
 that would appall me if I felt that I had to
 keep it up for a lifetime.
 

 Just for today, I will be happy. This assumes to
 be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that
 "most folks are as happy as they make up
 their minds to be."
 
 Just for today, I will try to strengthen my mind. 

 I will study. I will learn something useful.
 I will not be a mental loafer. I will read
 something that requires effort, thought and
 concentration.
 

 Just for today, I will adjust myself to what is,
 and not try to adjust everything to my own
 desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes,
 and fit myself to it.
 

 Just for today, I will exercise my soul in three
 ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and
 not get found out. I will do at least two
 things I don't want to--just for exercise.
 I will not show anyone that my feelings are
 hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not
 show it
 

 Just for today, I will be agreeable. I will look
 as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low,
 act courteously, criticize not one bit, not
 find fault with anything and not try to improve
 or regulate anybody except myself.
 

 Just for today, I will have a program. I may not
 follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will
 save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.
 

 Just for today, I will have a quiet half hour all
 by myself, and relax. During this half hour,
 sometime, I will try to get a better perspective
 of my life.
 

 Just for today, I will be unafraid. Especially I
 will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful,
 and to believe that as I give to the world, so
 the world will give to me.

 -Kenneth L. Holmes


Just reading it was calming, reading it a few times even more so. I found it late in the day - I don't know that I will be able to manage all of the "Just for Today's" in there but ... I can start out fresh tomorrow and have a good go at it again. This is one of those things I can see hanging in the bathroom mirror, reading it every morning. A good reminder of what's really important. I can let go of the rest that isn't so important, just for today ...


I especially love the Abe Lincoln quote. It is true and I make up my mind to be happy.


Just for today,
Nicola Byrne


If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one.
-Cavett Robert




No comments:

Post a Comment