Friday, May 20, 2011

Day Thirty-One ... A Memory

Last night I was sitting on the couch with Sixto jumping all over me. I opened up my mouth and with one sentence connected through time to my Grandfather and Dad in an instant. I don't think I've ever said the phrase before but it came out like I had been saying it all my life. Just like that I was a kid again remembering my Dad saying it to me, and on the heels of that remembering my Grandfather saying it as well. I think my Dad must have picked it up from him. I laughed out loud. Today it has me smiling non-stop.


"Go haunt the house."



It was always said with love in a very good natured way. I can remember my Grandfather jingling the change he always had in his pocket too. I wonder if my Dad will say it to my niece Emma when she gets old enough. I bet he will. Many years from now she may reminisce and smile about the very same memory I am. That would be sweet. 

Of course Sixto didn't understand me and he happily kept jumping all over demanding he be petted and treated like the royal puppy he is. I complied!

Smiling,
Nicola Byrne

It's surprising how much memory is built around things unnoticed at the time.
-Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment